Thursday, March 19, 2009

Old Friends are the best!

Two nights ago I went to a baby shower for my dear friend Molly in Park City. It was a ward shower, but they were kind enough to invite me back for it. It was so wonderful for me! I miss my friends in PC so much...I have so much in common with them. So it was SO fun to see them and get caught up. The Kimball ward women are just awesome. I got talking to a group of women at the shower about the uniqueness of the ward women. There are NO cliques, and it's not like just the 30 somethings all hang out - no, it's EVERYONE. The women in their 20's up to the women who are empty nesters in their 60's all are one and all enjoy each other and are interested in each other. We are all pretty independent women and have all had unique experiences in our lives, so maybe that's why we enjoy each other so much. Well, at least I enjoy their company and miss them very much. ALL of them.

And then yesterday, my dear mission companion Tammy (Soeur Steimle) brought her boys over to play. It was so delightful! Tammy knows me so well...we were companions for 6 months...which is a long time when your mission is only 18 months...and I loved every (well almost!) minute of it. We laughed SO hard when we were companions! And we really knew each other so well. There's such a deep depth of friendship with someone when you've shared such sacred experiences together - and so much time together. Our mission was very unique in that there were only 14 missionaries on the island and only 6 sisters. We all knew each other very well. Anyway, it was so fun to see her! No matter how much time passes in between us getting together, we can pick up right where we left off.

And one other blast from the past...one of my very oldest and best childhood friends is my neice's 5th grade teacher, so last week I took my kids and dropped in on her. She is amazing! She was like a breath of fresh air. She is so upbeat and happy...and it's real. Not her just being superficial - she really is a delightfully happy person. And so pretty! I told her she's in the wrong field. She should be a model. She has her master's degree and will be called up to be a principal any time now.

It was so refreshing and such a blessing to see all of these old friends. It really has been an answer to my prayers. I have been so blessed in my life to have amazing life-long friends! And they are such amazing women. I'm not sure why they've chosen to be my friend :).

4 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I agree, it was so great to see all our friends at the Kimball ward. I miss it so much. I felt comfortable and included, even though we have been gone for almost a year and a half now. It was fun to see you!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Oh, stop the madness. "I'm not sure why they chose to be my friend.." (or you wrote something to that effect). Are you kidding? I love it that we are friends and tell Vic that after every time I see you or talk to you. (and then I usually even cry about it) I wish we lived closer. The Kimball Ward is truly amazing. My parents never stop talking about how incredible it is. I felt so loved at my shower. I'm so glad you came.

Friends are such blessings. What would we do without them? I enjoyed reading this post. Can't wait to come and just hang out for hours at your house after Peter is born.

Erik and Tammy said...

AWWW! I almost cried when I read that! You are such an adorable person, I wish I was just like you! I can't wait to get together with you again, its that blasted school schedule, gets me every time! Thank goodness for summer vacation.

cooperfamily said...

You are so sweet. You made me smile when I read what you wrote. You are the one who is a breath of fresh air. I loved seeing you and now that I am your niece's sixth grade teacher this year I hope you will drop in even more. I loved seeing you and have thought that we need to do more together and get caught up on lost years.