Tuesday, September 1, 2009

This week...

John has made tremendous progress in the past 10 days! His headaches are not constant anymore, and he has much more energy. He's also started driving regularly. And, the best thing is that he finally has the strength to pick Ellie up again...which she points out all the time :). I'm finally feeling like we can see that John's body is going to recover from this nasty infection. He was fitted for a hearing aid last week and it should arrive any day. Apparently, he'll likely need one for the right ear within a few years also. Apparently the hearing loss is due to nerve damage in his brain caused by the infection. Amazingly, he's not bothered at all about wearing an aid. He's so frustrated by not hearing, that he is very anxious to get it. Plus, what's the big deal about a little hearing loss...at least he's alive!

His next doctor appointment is on Tuesday with the neurologist. I know that eventually she wants to do another lumbar puncture to determine the implications of the abnormalities on John's brain. However, because John had 3 punctures in the hospital and his brain is still healing, he won't have to have another puncture or MRI for a few more months.

So, I feel like this big chunk of time has been just removed from our lives...and our summer. I was feeling bad for our kids because for 5 weeks we didn't have a single outing. So, I took them to the zoo and we've been swimming several times the past couple of weeks. And I'm so looking forward to all of the autumn activities we can go to.

Ellie had her preschool orientation this morning and starts on Thursday. What?! Wasn't she just born last year??? I cannot believe how fast the time has FLOWN. I admit, I've been a bit melancholy. I'm sure part of it has to do with wondering what the future holds for John's health, but Ellie's life is starting a new chapter...and while it's a good change, she'll never ever go back to just being home with me. I'm a sappy mom. I love the stage of life I've been in for the past 3 1/2 years! I guess I'm struggling a tiny bit with all the change (real or imagined) that our lives have dealt with the past six weeks, and what we may deal with in the future. I know Ellie will absolutely thrive in preschool...she's so ready. I'm just not sure I am :).

7 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I totally understand the struggling with the change. I am so glad that he has made some good progress. One thing I have to remind myself with Kate is that progress is progress, and every little thing is something to rejoice! He sounds like he has been an amazing sport! I'm glad you have been able to start doing some fun things with the kids. I hope you can take some time to yourself. That has saved me!

Lizzy said...

i can't believe ellie is starting school. she is going to love it! but, i know that change can be difficult sometimes. and that is such great news about john!

John said...

Oh Anna, what a dear sweet entry! Thanks for giving us a candid look into your heart right now! I love you! (this is KATE - NOT John!)

Danny and Darcie said...

Anna,
We are so glad to hear that John is improving. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Are prayers are with you!

Adrienne said...

Anna, I heard something was going on with John, but I had no idea it was so serious. I am happy to hear that he is doing so well now. Your kids are simply adorable! I know how you feel about Ellie going to preschool..that was a hard one for me too, good luck!

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

We have prayed for you everyday and thought of you often. I am so glad that things are going as well as they are. I adore you for your strength, faith and hope. Love you.

Melissa and Jeff said...

I'm really happy to hear that John is improving and doing SO much better. It truly is a miracle he is alive. I hope you are doing ok - I'm sure you are dealing with much more internally than you're writing. Let me know if you ever need to go on a walk or something.