Monday, September 21, 2009

Disneyland!

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling sort of melancholy so I booked a last minute vacation to Disneyland for me and Ellie. We had a great time! It was fun to spend some "girl" time together. It was a quick trip, but so worth going. Ellie is such a sweetheart and so fun to be with. She's funny because she's not really into the princesses (thank goodness..I can't believe people wait in that line for hours just to see them!)...she's much more into the rides...and Goofy :). Good times. Oh did I mention I also booked a vacation to Hawaii for me and John in January? I can't wait. Some women need retail therapy to get them through rough times. I'm way more into vacation therapy :).

John got his hearing aid a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it isn't working the way he had hoped. He has a lot of ringing in his ears, and the hearing aid is amplifying it. And it's blocking what natural hearing he does have, so it's very annoying to him. Last week he ordered a different kind that should be here at the end of this week. It's an over-the-ear one, so we were hoping he could get it in black or silver, but it's such a new aid that he can only get it in flesh color right now in the US. For some reason the colored aid that John needs is sold in Europe already, but it hasn't been launched here yet. Hopefully we will be able to get it within the next 6 months. I hope this aid helps! It's supposed to be the best of the best, so I'm hopeful that John will like it. Even if it is over the ear and flesh colored :).

John and I went on a really fun date on Saturday night. It was really the first date we've been on since he got sick (which began two months ago yesterday). We went to dinner at the Garden Restaurant at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building - which we hadn't been to for years. And then we walked over to Abravanel Hall for the symphony. It was fantastic! It was Cirque de Symphonie, so throughout the symphony there were acrobats and contortionists doing amazing acts. We always love the symphony, but this was really fun. It was a great night.

Today, we took the kids to the zoo to see the baby elephant. John was a great sport to make it his excerise for the day. He didn't really want to go, and wasn't sure he could walk that much, but he did great. Of course we took it VERY slow (not just for John...we didn't use the stroller, so walking with Jack takes forever!), and rested a bunch. The baby elephant is so darling! It was a perfect day to go.

Pictures to come soon. I have a new computer, and I have problems uploading them from my camera. I'm not so tech savvy. I'll have John help.

3 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I was just going to email you today to ask how you and John were doing. Your girls only trip to Disneyland sounds so fun. And that is fantastic that you and John are taking a trip together. That will be so fun! Ryan has been asking a lot about John. If you are ever up to it, we'd love to come visit you guys, but only when you are ready.

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

What wonderful moments! I hope that new hearing aid helps more. Vacation therapy is VITAL...but heavenly dates like those are close second. Wanna come visit up here next time?
You are all in our thoughts and prayers. I admire you so much. Love you.

Emily Osborne said...

I love that you frequently just hop over to Disneyland for a quickie. What a fun mom you are, and I KNOW you ate a few cream-cheese pretzels while you were there! It would be so great if you could find John's hearing aid with diamond studs or something....he'd look great with some bling :)